1. Your privacy is respected
This practice’s policy outlines how personal information provided by you or collected by the practice about you is used and managed.
The practice is bound by the National Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000.
2. What personal information is collected and how?
The type of information collected and retained by the practice includes personal information, including sensitive information about:
• job applicants
• staff members
• contractors; and
• other people who come into contact with the practice.
2.1 Personal information personally provided
The practice collects personal information held about an individual by way of forms filled out, face-to-face meetings and interviews, telephone calls, facsimiles, emails and delivery of services.
2.2 Personal information provided by other people
In some circumstances, the practice may receive personal information about an individual from a third party, for example, referrals.
3. Employee records exemption
4. The practice’s use of personal information personally provided
The primary purpose of collection is for the sole use of the practice informing you of its services, programs and product offerings and to enable the practice to provide information/services to practices and for such other secondary purposes that are related to the primary purpose of collection and can reasonably be expected to so relate, or to which you have personally consented.
The purposes for which this practice uses personal information include:
• to keep you informed about matters related to the practice’s activities through correspondence, emails, facsimiles, newsletters and magazines
• day-to-day activities
• looking after the practice’s interests; and
5. Job applicants and contractors
In relation to personal information of job applicants and contractors, the practice’s primary purpose of collection is to assess the applicant or contractor.
The practice’s marketing functions support the growth and development of the practice. Personal information will not be disclosed to an organisation that assists in marketing.
7. Who might the practice disclose personal information to?
The practice may disclose personal information (including sensitive information) held about an individual to:
• another architectural practice
• government departments; and
• anyone you authorise the practice to disclose information to.
8. Sending information overseas
The practice will not send personal information about an individual outside Australia without:
• obtaining the individual’s consent; or
• complying with the National Privacy Principles.
9. How does the practice treat sensitive information?
Information relating to a person’s racial or ethnic origins, political opinions, religion, trade union or other professional or trade association membership, sexual preferences or criminal record, that is also personal information; and health information about an individual is sensitive and will be used and disclosed only for the purpose for which it was provided or a directly related secondary purpose, unless you agree otherwise, or the use or disclosure of the sensitive information is allowed by law.
10. Management and security of personal information
The practice’s staff are, as a condition of their employment, expected to respect the confidentiality of personal information and the privacy of individuals.
The practice has a system to protect the personal information it retains.
11. Personal information update
The practice tries to ensure that the personal information it retains is accurate, complete and up-to-date. To update their personal information a person may contact the Privacy Officer during office hours 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday.
12. You can check with the practice about what personal information it retains about you.
An individual has the right to obtain access to any personal information the practice retains and to advise of any perceived inaccuracy.
Please contact the privacy officer in writing if you wish to obtain access.
Mail: The Privacy Officer
John Cameron Architects Pty Ltd
PO Box 371
BULIMBA Q 4171